Scaling and Root Planing
To minimize the discomfort and encourage proper healing following your scaling and root planing, follow these instructions:
- After the procedure ibuprofen (Advil) before the anesthetic wears off. Continue to take, as directed on the packaging, for two days.
- A saltwater solution (1 tablespoon of salt and 8 ounces warm water) swished in your mouth for 2 to 3 minutes every hour may make your mouth more comfortable.
- Use a soft toothbrush at least two times a day. Be gentle and clean thoroughly. Slight bleeding may occur while brushing as the tissues begin to heal.
- Avoid spicy seasonings and hard crunchy foods for the next few days.
- Smoking should be stopped. Success of the treatment will be substantially reduced by the cigarette smoke chemicals in your body. Healing will occur faster if you are not smoking.
- As the tissues heal, some temporary sensitivity to cold may occur. Use a desensitizing toothpaste (such as Sensodyne®) for 1 to 2 weeks. Also, the cleaner the teeth are kept, the less sensitive they will be.
- Follow any instructions for special care that your hygienist gave you.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please call our office at 530-246-1188.